Vaastu Shastra is the scientific study of directions, which aims at creating equilibrium by balancing the different elements of nature and using them for the benefit of humans. It holds great importance in our life, as it paves the way for happiness and prosperity to knock our doors. The guidelines of Vaastu are very simple and easy to follow. It can be applied to virtually all sets of constructions, be it a house, a particular room, temple, commercial complex, industry, etc.
Vaastu extracts the positive energies of the five basic elements of nature – the solar energy of the sun, lunar energy of the moon, wind energy, magnetic effects of earth and heat energy of fire, balancing them to bring harmony in the life of a person.
Vaastu has a subtle way of bringing harmony and also channelizing the energies. It is not a superstition rather a clever set of principles put together by our ancestors to bring betterment into our lives.
Some benefits of Vaastu Shastra Include: It attracts more wealth, it creates financial security, it generates new opportunities, it strengthens bonds and relationships, it also brings joy and happiness.
There is a science associated with every aspect of Vaastu, are some facts stated by Vaastu:
Science behind directions
As Vaastu deals greatly with direction, the science behind it explains the concept better. For example, Vaastu recommends the kitchen is located in the South-East direction. As per science, if a kitchen is located in any other direction the house becomes susceptible to fire.
- The entrance of the house should be located either towards the north or the north-east as it is the ideal direction for sunlight coming into the house. Thus the house will have a good amount of natural light.
- The house should have a very good ventilation system. Therefore it is ideal for it to have either north or an east-facing balcony.
- The living room should be ideally located in the center of the house so as to let the natural light come inside and ensure a positive environment.
Science behind colors
Vaastu reveals that certain lighter hues have a major influence in bringing relaxation, harmony, and peace. Because scientifically the lighter shades help you relax better and also give you decorative liberty.
- Bedroom – A Shade of pink, light green, light blue, white
- Living room – Yellow, green, blue, beige
- Kitchen – White, orange, yellow, rose pink, red & chocolate
- Bathroom – White, mixtures of white & black, gray, pink and other pastel colors
- Dining room – Green, pink, blue
- Puja room – Yellow
Science behind shapes
Vaastu insists on houses and spaces being constructed in a particular shape for enhancing stability and safety because scientifically rectangular and square rooms make the best use of space and circular rooms would waste a lot of floor area.
- The square shape is considered to be the best according to Vaastu as it ensures the inmates all-round prosperity and happiness. The reason being, it has good cross-ventilation and protection from the hot summer heat. And it can be used fully, without any wastage of space around it.
- The rectangle shape is also considered good according to Vaastu, it bestows good health, wealth and prosperity. Even though there will be some extra land around the house, but this space can be used for trees, outhouse etc and hence is not wasted.
Science behind airflow
Vaastu values and stresses a lot on the element of air, because scientifically an empty and clutter-free space in the middle of the home will help in unobstructed air circulation, making the home feel welcoming and open.
Talking about Airflows in the house according to Vaastu,
- Windows should not be placed at Southwest directions as it harms maximum level to the inhabitants, air, light, etc from this window cause harmful to the residents
- Airflow inside the house should be from the Northeast direction.
Vaastu Shastra can be used to create a better life with the people around you as well. It promotes internal peace and calms and it can also promote cooperative relationships among the dwellers that live inside the structure.
So, if you were thinking Vaastu will be too much of Shastra, we hope our scientific and practical points have proved that it makes a perfect sense. Feel free to incorporate the ones that appear functional and find an aesthetically pleasing way to use Vaastu to the advantage of a healthier and happier life.